I’m sure you’ve been waiting impatiently to find out what I was lying about yesterday. I hope your day went smoothly despite your curious nature chipping away at you while you wondered about my lie. I hope I didn’t disturb your day too much.
I’d like to thank my fellow liars-in-crime (whose blogs I’ll be heading over to because I’m dying to find out what they were lying about!): Doreen, Elin, Lois, Angela, Mary B, Elaine, Linda, Jackie, and Jamie. Remind me to never get in a poker game with any of you.
Before I reveal my answers, l want to pause a moment to reflect where I was 26 years ago today. Because as I type this post I am wearing a turtleneck, sweatshirt, sweat pants and wool socks because it’s f-r-e-e-z-i-n-g outside. Here is where I was. Beam me back over there now, Scotty!
Finally, here’s the big reveal from yesterday’s post:
1. TRUE: I wrote in the past that while working for a large real estate firm in Manhattan I was the token Jersey Girl with a car. So I (naively) said yes to driving to all 5 boroughs to conduct closings. I got to know a married attorney who represented many buyers. He wanted to “thank me” (translation: have a fling) and propositioned me at lunch at the 4-star restaurant, Lutece. I was very young, and in retrospect I wish I flung a glass of wine at him and left, but I stayed for the entire uncomfortable meal. Back at the office I was flustered and told my boss who became outraged and took care of the situation. Let’s just say I never saw that man again.
2. TRUE: During lunch hour from the same real estate firm I was walking down Sixth Avenue when a camera crew approached me. They wanted people on the street to ask questions for Mayor Koch for that evening’s 6 o’clock news. At that time people were clamoring for him to lower taxes, so I asked him to lower them. I knew I’d never make it home in time to see the program, so I called my brother and he recorded it on his SONY Betamax. I wish I could watch it today!
3. TRUE: My new boyfriend and I were invited to a black tie New Year’s Eve party and I wanted to impress him and his friends, but I didn’t know how. After discussing it with my mother, we decided to approach one of her friend’s who was a master chef/baker. Oh, what a foolish girl I was! I told everyone at the party that I made the cake!! Unfortunately one of the guests was a professional caterer, and she gave me her card and offered me a job. That lie ended up smacking me in the face and I more than deserved it. The guy ended up being a total jerk. I learned some very powerful life lessons that evening.
4. TRUE: I’ve told the story before about a friend of mine working on a film and inviting me onto the set to meet Harold Ramis (loved), Robert DeNiro (too busy getting into character) and Billy Crystal. A little background: My friend was the first one to introduce me to bacon (at age 16) because I wasn’t allowed to eat anything from a pig. When her mom found out she made me a BLT she said she’d end up in Hell! So my friend told Billy Crystal this story and he laughed, and then struck up a conversation with me about keeping kosher and using one set of dishes for meat and the other for dairy He was endearing and hysterically funny.
5. FALSE: Many of you said you believed the story about getting to the tropical island, but not about loving the small airplane. You were so right! That tiny plane carried around 30 people and I swore I would die as a newlywed. I felt nauseous when we landed. I dislike small planes and I definitely have a fear of heights.
Our luggage didn’t arrive with us, so there we were in this beautiful oasis in our heavy winter clothing. Oy vey. Thank goodness the suitcases arrived later that day. We grabbed our suits and headed to the water. Ahh. All’s well that ends well.
6. TRUE: One summer my friend and I did work on an assembly line. It was the most boring job I ever had. On top of that, we were grouped with the full-time ladies who hated us because they knew we’d be heading back to college in August and they’d still be there. It didn’t help that one of the young men had a crush on my friend, and one of the assembly ladies had a crush on him. Nice little soap opera, eh? (By the way, Mary Bird, I really don’t know the name of the widget or appliance because I don’t remember what we worked on! It was a long time ago. Ah, memory….Ha!)
This was a lot of fun! Thanks a lot for playing.